Outdoor and Patio Lighting Ideas
Outdoor and Patio Lighting Ideas
String lights are a great way to spruce up outdoor space throughout the year for multiple occasions and purposes, from weddings to restaurant patios to private dinner parties. The type of appropriate lights go beyond the string mini lights, too, and include anything from elegant globe lights to LEDs.
Our best patio and outdoor lighting ideas include:
Patio and Party LightsFrom white lights to multicolor party lights, find the string lights that best fit your outdoor space.
Shop for Patio and Party Lights
Globe LightsGive your backyard patio or outdoor wedding a relaxed, sophisticated look with globe lights.
Shop for Globe Lights
Icicle LightsDon't forget to cool down with strings of icicle lights when the weather gets warmer.
Shop for Icicle Lights
DIY String LightsCustomize your outdoor string lights by choosing your own combination of lightbulbs and strings.
Shop for Bulbs and Strings
Backyard Lighting Ideas for Decks and Patios
Here are some lighting suggestions to make your outdoor abode more inviting:
- Let the lights hang freely over pools and open areas by attaching lights, such as the Globe Lights, to opposite sides of fences, the home's exterior walls or poles.
- For pergolas, streamline some A15 Clear Outdoor Patio Lights along the roof or wrap Mini Lights around the rungs and support columns.
- Staircases on decks are perfect for Cool White Twinkle LED Icicle Lights or Mini Lights.
- Add a bright, summery tone to your outdoor space with colorful lights without looking too Christmas-like by using the G50 Multicolor Party Lights.
- If you have a chandelier or other type of central lighting, add string lights by meeting or crisscrossing them with the centerpiece.
- String lights inside an umbrella stationed over a dining table or patio chairs.
- Use a large trees branches to hang A15 Clear Outdoor Patio lights above a dining table for a rustic look for a dinner party.
Want to see more ideas like this? Subscribe to our free newsletter!
Small Apartment Patios and Decks
Turn small patio space into a cozy, exciting outdoor pad with just a few lights.
- Attach lights to opposite sides of exterior walls.
- Wrap or hang patio lighting, such as the G30 Pearl White Lights, around the edge of a balcony or fence.
- Tie Battery-Operated LED Fairy Lights around plants with tree- or branch-like features.
- Use multiple Mini Lights in between buildings to create a curtain effect.
Bistros, Cafes and Restaurants
Eateries are great for patio and outdoor lighting if you want to add just the right amount of ambiance.
String lights are an easy addition to give a magical touch to your outdoor wedding.
- Brighten your "I dos" with Mini Lights at the alter.
- If your special day is in an outdoor venue, such as a barn, Icicle Lights are perfect to hang from the ceiling.
- As part of the centerpiece, stuff Battery-Operated LED Fairy Lights into mason jars to give each table an effortless, rustic look.
- For a true fairy-tale feel, add Mini Lights to trees.
Sign up for our free newsletter for more decorating projects and other do-it-yourself ideas:
How to Plan and Hang Patio Lights
Learn how to shop for and plan your patio lighting ideas. What size bulb do you need, how long should your light string be, and how much power can you run?
Know Your Christmas Lights Wattage
Learn more about wattage and amperage on Christmas lights, including how many lights you can run on a single outlet and how many strings can be connected together.
Wrapping Trees with Lights
Learn to wrap everything from trunks and branches to bushes and evergreen trees for the ultimate light in your yard.