The definition of commercial grade Christmas lights can vary widely. Consider the following to help you determine what is right for your project.
- Do you need commercial grade Christmas lights to withstand harsh conditions?
- Are you looking for lights that last longer than consumer-grade lights?
- Is your display for a business or high-traffic area where commercial grade lights are required?
What Makes a Christmas Light Commercial Grade?
Commercial features vary by product but can include things like..
- Lights that include water-tight, end to end connections to eliminate water intrusion
- Light lenses and husks that are built using one-piece construction to eliminate water intrusion
- Lights that are tested and color matched for better color consistency
- Lights that use higher-grade, more durable materials
- Ability to customize the lights to special lengths and configurations
- Some commercial grade lights feature thicker gauge wiring to adhere to certain local electrical codes
While no one definition can encompass all that these lights have to offer, we have highlighted some of the most important features of the most popular commercial Christmas lights below.
Water-Tight Commercial LED Christmas Lights
Commercial LED light strings with co-axial connectors are one of the most popular styles of commercial Christmas lights among professional installers due to their exceptional durability. Unlike traditional end to end connections, the co-axial screw on connector provides a strong bond that cannot be pulled apart and creates a watertight outdoor seal so that no moisture can penetrate the string. This style of commercial LED Christmas light also features hardwired bulbs that cannot be removed from the socket which prevents water from seeping into the bulbs. Many water-tight light sets allow you to connect more than 500 feet of lights together on one power outlet, making them perfect for longer runs and professional applications.
Commercial LED Light Bulbs
When searching for commercial grade LED bulbs, look for those made with highly durable materials. The best bulbs on the market today are those constructed using a strong material like polycarbonate to create a thicker, virtually unbreakable bulb lens. Commercial grade LED bulbs made with high grade materials can be up to 200 times stronger than traditional glass bulbs. In addition to durability, commercial grade LED bulbs should be consistent in color and light dispersement. Look for bulbs that have uniform color and light saturation from the base to the tip.
Commercial Christmas Light Strings & Spools
Some lighting projects present unique obstacles - the most common being unusual space measurements or configurations. Trying to figure out how many light strings you need while attempting to fit a string length that is either too large or too small into your space can be frustrating and time consuming. The good news is, there is a better solution. E12 & E17 bulk light strings and spools are the secret to a commercial Christmas light installer's success because they can be cut if needed to create completely custom lengths for virtually any size space. Once a cut is made, zip plugs can be added as needed, wherever they are needed along the light run. For outdoor commercial applications, look for light strings and spools that are tested and certified for wet-use, as these are the best choice for long-term outdoor applications.